6.15.2013

3 Things I've Never Regretted

 Here are 3 things that I've never had regrets about....


1.) Keeping a Cookbook of Trusted Recipes

      About seven years ago, I started keeping a spiral notebook full of recipes that I had tried and found successful. Many of these were my mom's recipes that she told me over the phone while I quickly scribbled them down. But the first recipe in the book is a banana bread recipe that I only learned how to bake so that I could subsequently teach a boy I liked how to bake it. You know, that recipe bought me a ton of hours with aforementioned boy and it also turned into a favorite treat I would make for friends of mine when they came to my place. So, that’s a win-win situation folks and I know I wouldn’t still have the recipe, or the memory, if I had not written it down.
            What I love about my spiral notebook is that it’s got enough room in it for notes, and add-on notes, and any asides that I feel like including; or that my vegan-obsessed roommates decide to pen-in for me (thanks, Whitney). The above is my mom's peanut butter cookie. These are rich, buttery cookies which she's always made with JIFF, but you can use whatever pb you like,if you choose to try out the recipe.  
          In addition to being an invaluable resource, this spiral notebook keeps my macbook safe. It’s no secret that I’m messy in the kitchen (my co-worker recently informed me that that’s because I’m a Cancer; when he said it, he sort of tilted his head and gave me a knowing look and I started furiously wiping down the espresso machine). Anyways, the notebook also gives me a certain peace of mind because it helps me to avoid bringing electronics into the same area as raw eggs and oil and it keeps my messy fingers from messing up my keyboard. 



2.) Staying with Starbucks for So Long

          I worked for Starbucks for almost five years. Maybe you have a horror story about this company, I know I could turn mine into a horror story if I wanted to but looking back, I think it was a good experience. It was the first coffee job I ever had and though at times I hated it, my time there is something I’ve never regretted.
            Starbucks taught me to treat others with respect and dignity. I know I might sound like a clone to some people, but some of the most extensive training that the managers and supervisors at Starbucks get is not in coffee (obviously) but in interpersonal communication and people management. Bosses there know how to motivate their baristas to get shit done, and they know how to make people feel valued and not taken advantage of. That’s probably one of the greatest keys to their success as a company, the fact that they genuinely seem to respect their partners. It's not the caramel macchiato or chonga bagel that has made Starbucks the company that it is, it’s the fact that baristas at Starbucks are really well taken care of. For nearly five years, my Starbucks schedule rarely interfered with my school schedule. I didn't realize how important or unusal that was until I got jobs at other places that didn't give a damn about the fact that I was a student. When I left Starbucks, I was surprised to find out just how much I had been spoiled. Most of the people I have worked under since Starbucks have not had the extensive people-managment training that's necessary for, you know, managing people. I didn't realize how much I would miss being treated like a human, and not a dispensable plebeian  But hindsight is 20/20, isn't it?
            That being said, I’d like to say that the other huge thing Starbucks taught me was how to work really freaking hard. After leaving the company, I would meet ex-partners in different work situations everywhere I went and the one conversation I would have over and over is how you can tell when somebody used to work for Starbucks. Why? Because they work really freaking hard. Ex-partners are always some of my favorite people to work with because there’s a certain work-ethic that’s been pounded into them. 
            I’m glad I stayed with Starbucks for as long as I did. It was a really key experience in developing me into the person I am today and I've never had any regrets about my time there. 



3.) Being Brave Enough to Go Alone

       In life, there will always be things that you want to do that nobody else really cares to do with you. I learned this lesson early because I was the only kid in my family who was truly dedicated to building snowmen in the 2 inches of snow we would sometimes get in December. What I learned was that if I wasn’t okay with doing it alone, then maybe I would miss the chance to do it at all, and if I had to pick one from the two options, going at it alone was always the better choice. Trips to the beach, shows in Seattle, poetry readings and slams, prayer meetings, long train trips, new coffeehouses, grungy-looking Thai places, you name it and chances are, at some point, I’ve done it alone.
            About a year ago, I had a guy come into my coffeehouse and he was really bummed out. There was a concert going on that night with his favorite band and he really wanted to go to, but none of his friends would go with him. When I suggested that he go alone, he bulked at the idea and sort of looked at me like I was out of my mind. I'm always surprised at how many people I meet that share this guy's mindset. After he walked away all I could think about was all the places that I so desperately wanted someone with me, but because nobody was available, I elected to have the adventure by myself and once I was off and going, I never regretted doing it. Being alone isn't always ideal, but sometimes it's healthy and allows you to experience the situation in a way that you would not have been able to if you had had company. And almost always it's better than not seeing something/experiencing something that you really needed/wanted to see. I love my friends, but what makes them so wonderful is that fact that we're all different and that means that sometimes they don't want to go where I'm going, but if I let that stop me from going then I would be limiting my own life, and that wouldn't be good. I'm glad I've been brave enough to go at it alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment